Monday, June 6, 2011

AT LAST!! The DOLLHOUSE PILLOW!!!

It's finally done and completely AWESOME!!  Now, I'm not one to toot my own horn, but....

toot toot.

I found this idea on http://mycakies.blogspot.com/2009/08/giant-dollhouse-pillow.html
It's a great blog and she has an etsy shop where she sells the pillows....for $100.  Umm.  Yea.  At the same time, I have tons of scrap fabric, brilliant crafters in my life for advice, and just enough free time over our Mother's Day weekend to whip this up myself. 

And thank goodness I did this over our weekend, because without the advice of my mom and sister...this would've been the biggest flop of a disaster.  Seriously.  Thank you.




The girls really like it.  It's big.  It's fluffy.  It's pink.

I had shown Ella some pictures of what I was going to make, and when I brought the (almost) finished product home, the first thing she said was, "Where are the pockets?" 
Yea thanks honey.  Pockets would've added one more hurdle that I just didn't want to jump. 
Hopefully she can move past that huge disappointment.
She did come up with the big sunflower on the door.  I was putting yellow petals together for a little flower until she handed my a giant brown button.  Sniff, sniff.  She has excellent taste!

I had the best time putting on the little embellishments.  We found lots of cute buttons at Hobby Lobby like this ladybug button.  Neat surprises make this the best.

And we open it up....WHOOLLLAAAA!!!!

Bedrooms #1 and #2.
Bedroom #2 was supposed to be a sitting room until my mom said, "Why not two bedrooms?"  Thank you mom.  All the same patterns.  Time/sanity saver.
And the cute flip-flop buttons at the beside. 

This is where my life was seriously saved by my advisers.  Originally I was going to applique on the kitchen and stitch in the details with my sewing machine until I heard, "Why not just draw in the details with a permanent pen?"  Done.  This is where I would've seriously lost my gourd. 
And the bookshelf.  Just stitch on some different colored books, right?
Then mom told me I could just color books in with crayons and iron them to make it permanent.  Done.  And much, much cuter than anything I would've torn my hair out over.  Seriously, I would've been bald at the end of this project without advice.

Cookies in the cookie jar! 
I love this pillow.  I screwed up at the very end, so the roof on the backside is wrong-side out, but...whatever.  If I were Amish, that screw up would've been intentional as a gift to God.  So let's go with that.  LOVE!!!

2 comments:

  1. That is such a cool project! I am beyond impressed at the details. Your craftiness is admirable and awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling! I have to share this with my sister. It looks like something she would make!

    ReplyDelete